Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Getting Back to Your Roots

In the ever-changing economy, many of us are taking a step back and looking at things in a different light.  Our thinking seems to be more local in support of "the little guy".  What a great concept to gain from such trying times! 

This is something that I am considering while making my lists for flowers & plants to grow for the 2011 season.  What about the old standby??...the little guy, perhaps?  With our need to have bigger, better, improved plants, many of the great characteristics of many plants and flowers have been lost...hybridized out.  That new sweetpea may have amazing color, but what happened to that sweet fragrance that I remember from my childhood?  This new chrysanthemum may be perfectly shaped with huge blooms, but will it return for me year after year like Grandma's did?  

There are many reasons to choose the new, improved varieties...But, a large portion of my orders will include those "little guys", the heirloom varieties that still manage to easily impress with their standout qualities -- disease resistance, stamina, color, fragrance, etc.  I can't wait to see them shine in Spring of 2011!!   

Sneak peeks for 2011 coming soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment